Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weeds, Weeds, Weeds, I Am Sick of Weeds

Three years ago, we took a family vaca to Rocky Mountain National Park. Last year, I visited Cody and Elizabeth in San Diego and saw the ocean for the first time in my life (yeah, yeah, it was overdue). We went to Sea World and I was completely enthralled by the whales. Such grace and power in one creature. On our drive home, we stopped at the Grand Canyon and my calendar for this month is a beautiful picture of the Grand Canyon.

I am enthralled with God's creation.

I have a hillside in my backyard where I would like to have my own little piece of this beautiful creation. With some work, okay, probably A LOT of work, I believe this site could be a  profusion of color throughout the spring, summer and into the fall.  

One rather major problem is that it also has an abundance of weeds. I have been working and working, but my attempts have been so feeble. I can spend hours out there pulling and pulling and pulling and, dang, if those weeds aren't back in what seems like minutes.

PLUS .......

There was some sort of bug activity out there that I did not even notice, but it certainly found me and been quite successful at biting me IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES.

I don't know much about plants or how to make a lovely yard, but I do ask questions and every greenhouse I went to, I asked questions. (with the exception of Hy-Vee because I just didn't think a high school kid that they pulled from the register would have many answers). I hit the jackpot the other week at the Woodsmith Store where the lady working there acknowledged she couldn't answer my questions but gave me the name of someone who could. That's all I ask, refer me when you don't know. So I called the Des Moines Forage and Turf and they were a wealth of information. I now know exactly what I have to do and now is the time to do it. Here's a before picture of my weed-side and I will post pictures as I progress until next year when (hopefully) I have a burst of color. I'm hoping to have enough to cut and bring the garden inside.
The Weed Garden (with disrespectful bugs)

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

mama goose said...

Reading your blog made me think about how much weeds are like sin.
It can just take over our lives!

Weeds can grow anywhere. And once they take root, it's very hard to get rid of them.

However, just like you are working to grow a beautiful garden, God is also at work, growing us into something beautiful. We, like your landscaping project, are also work in progress.

"He's still working on me, to get me to where I ought to be!"