Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Communication, Communication

The other night, Mark, Carissa and I were watching a TV show and in one scene there were 2 teenage girls sitting at the kitchen table of one of the girls homes and their conversation went something like this:

Girl #1: Did you hear what Ashley told Jon today?
Girl #2: No, I didn't.
Girl #1: Well, I texted it to you.
Girl #2: Oh, I didn't see it; wait, here it is. (And she reads the text on her phone). Really? What did Jon say back to her?
Girl #1: Oh, I'll tell you. (at which point she gets out her phone and texts the Girl #2). Okay, it's transmitting, you should get it soon.

I looked at Carissa and I just laughed because whenever you look at a teenager/20-year-old person, they always have their phones open and texting someone somewhere. There are people who can text while their phone is in a purse. Carissa drives and texts. Although preferably not when I'm in the car. Carissa laughs at how slow I am. But getting better...... really. Honestly, I don't know how I got through so much of my life without a cell phone. Seriously.

There are a gazillion ways of keeping in touch with people without ever leaving home. Here's an obvious one -- a blog. I'm on facebook and would love it if more friends my age would get on that. I think nearly every person under 30 is on facebook and hardly anyone over 40 is. The 30-somethings are still a mixed bag although I really have no idea. We have e-mail. Although an e-mail from me can turn into a novella. I can't help it, once I get rolling, I just can't stop. We have phones. Personally, I don't like telephones. There are these awkward pauses and then you both start talking at the same time. I am just old fashioned enough, but perhaps with just a smidgeon of coolness, to believe it doesn't get much better than a one on one with a friend in a coffeeshop.

So being all about relationships, more options is just fine. In fact, it's more than fine, I think it's wonderful. So start communicating.

No comments: