Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wish List

So, I have been realizing that retirement is just not that far off for us. That got me to thinking about what I want to do with that time and here's a list of what I've come up with so far.

1. Go places. I don't mean to spend a couple days or weeks somewhere. I am thinking about spending 3 months, 6 months, perhaps a year in some of these places. I would like to live in Estes Park, Colorado. Then to a loft in downtown Chicago. Spend time in Duluth -- and of course it simply has to be in the winter. How about Maine or Vermont in the fall? I believe I will have to stay in Alaska for an entire year to experience all the seasons there.
2. Travel. These are places to visit. The Netherlands to see the kinfolk there. Italy because they have fabulous shoes and purses. Switzerland to see the Swiss Alps. Didn't everyone read Heidi when they were young? Austria because The Sound of Music is one of the best movies ever. It would be fun to go down to the Plaza in NYC and see how the Today show works.
3. Learn. I would love to sit at the feet of someone like my mom's friend Harriett and just soak in her knowledge of God's Word.
4. Read, read and then read some more. I'm starting my list of books now just like my cousin Nancy was doing this summer.
5. Wherever we are, join a women's Bible study. Because how else will I get to know people? Visit many, many churches. Maybe we'll find one we don't want to leave, maybe we will just keep visiting.
6. Volunteer: As a park ranger in Rocky Mountain National Park. Read to elementary school students. Read to senior citizens in nursing homes. Serve soup at a homeless shelter. Be an usher at a Chicago theater.
7. Mission Trips: Number 1 is Africa to work with AIDS patients and children orphaned from the AIDS epidemic.
8. Up my knitting skills. It's time to move on from scarves and caps.
9. Bring my work computer with me in case I can pound out a few medical reports now and then. But only when I want to.
10. Write fabulous stories about my adventures on this here blog business.
11. Keep Des Moines as my home base. Because I love Des Moines and everyone has to come home.

I could wait for retirement, but as I look my list over, I realize there are a lot of things on this list that I can certainly start right now. It's always good to get a jump start.

No comments: