Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's snowing here in central Iowa. In fact, it's been snowing since before noon yesterday. It's not a blizzard, just constant snow. Quite often we have very mild winters, not much snow, not much cold. This winter has been different. We've had cold, we've had snow. I've learned that people in different parts of the country have different views on winter. A couple years ago, Carissa had a volleyball tournament in Minneapolis. We left a winter storm behind in Des Moines to come to bright sunny weather in Minneapolis. As we checked into our hotel, we told the desk clerk what we had left behind and in all sincerity he said, "Oh boy, I'm jealous." My dear friend Brenda has a picture of her and her husband standing in a snowstorm in Bayshore. Bayshore, Wisconsin? In the winter? That is waaaaaay up north where I'm sure winter is a way of life. What fun!! Many people around here like the whole "white Christmas" concept, but when Christmas is over, they are ready for spring. They must have missed that part on the calendar that says the first day of winter is December 21. Maybe it's my Wisconsin upbringing with lots of sleeding and ice skating, but I like this. I like walking around in it, I really like watching it from my window. I like the peace. Spring will come in its time and that, too, will be a joy, but for now let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Well, Linda,
we are getting that snow storm also. At times out my window it is a white out. Everything in the county is closed which I don't mind except that tonight was the final rehearsal and set up for our big banquet at church. God has given my peace - I'm not stressing. Don't know what we'll do yet about all that. I'm just thinking that it might be a great night to go out snow shoeing where we used to sled and ice skate. Care to join us?