Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Two Lives

Within about a week and 12 hours, 2 people I knew passed away.  One was 100 years old.  One was 16 years old.  One I knew quite well, the other I only knew about.  

All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
(Psalm 139:16)

In July 2007, we celebrated the 100th birthday of Grandpa Tigges.  All of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were there and it was a wonderful time.  Some traveled from Arizona, some from Nebraska, and some from California.  My first memories of Grandpa were when Mark and I started dating and he was still helping on the farm.  I can still see him in my mind's eye coming up the driveway on the tractor.  He and grandma had moved "to town" but he still loved to be involved with the farm work.  I saw his devotion to his wife when she had a stroke in 1987.  For many years, he cared for her at home, but eventually it was just too hard and she was moved to the nursing home where he visited her almost daily.  We last saw Grandpa on Christmas Day when he drove out to the farm to celebrate Christmas.  How he loved scratching those lottery tickets he got as a gift.  No big winners, but he came out ahead.  He was a good man who raised good people who, in turn, raised good people.  With the exception of a stay in the nursing home for a few months, he was able to stay independent, driving himself to the farm and church every Sunday, but most of the people that were in his life had passed on and he was ready to join them.  He will be missed, but I know he is "dwelling in the house of the Lord forever."  

Jason was 16 and a junior in high school when he passed away 7 days and 12 hours before Grandpa after a 3-year battle with cancer.  I first saw evidence of the impact Jason and his family have had several years ago when I watched a video of his parents talking about his illness yet their faith remained strong.  I saw it again 2 days before Jason died when I went to a high school basketball game and about 150-200 kids stayed after the game and were down on their knees on the gym floor lifting Jason and his family up in prayer.  The funeral lasted longer than an hour and a half and while it was filled with sadness, it was also a also celebration.  Kids at Waukee High School are asking questions now.  They want to know about God, they want to know about heaven, they have a yearning to know more.  

Where O death is your victory?  
Were O death is your sting?
(I Cor. 15:55)

I read an article that says on your tombstone is the date of your birth and the date of your death and in between those dates is a dash.  It's what you do with the dash that can make a difference.  Two lives - One long, one short, but both made that dash count.  

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mark's Grandpa. So glad that you were there to see him at Christmas. What a tremendous heritage he must have left after so many years. You're in my prayers - may the menories be sweet and healing.

Brenda