Monday, October 22, 2007

Yes, You, Too, Can Help Save The World

We live in the midst of an amazing creation. I am in awe of when I think of all the beauty that surrounds us. I love the deer family that comes into my yard almost every morning and every evening. My greatest earthl desire right now is to go to Alaska. I would love to hunt for some of the most amazing wildlife, but hunt with my eyes, no gun thank you very much. I was completely enthralled with the whales at Sea World. I have never seen such beauty, grace and power all wrapped up in one creature.

But we are destroying this world. I have been convicted to do as much as possible to treat this environment with care and gentleness. I'm quite certain I will never chain myself to a tree or lay down in front of a bulldozer, but there are lots of little things I can do to make a difference.

As much as I love this computer age, here are some facts: "Americans tossed out a whopping 5.5 billion pounds of electronics - TVs, stereos, cellphones, and computers - in 2005, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Only about 12.5 percent of this waste was recovered for recycling. The results? Millions of pounds of chemicals and heavy metals ended up in the ground even though it's easier than ever to recycle electronies." (From Better Homes and Gardens). Phew, 5.5 BILLION pounds???? And that's only electronies, there is a lot of other stuff being thrown out there too, I won't even start on paper and how we waste trees (case in point - The National Enquirer).

If you are like me, I didn't even know electronics could be recycled, but YES, they can. Here are some web sites to check out http://www.mygreenelectronics.org. For cell phones, go to http://www.greenphone.com. Here's one final fact: If 1 million Better Home and Garden subscribers recycled one cathode-ray tube TV this year, we'd keep 4 million pounds of lead out of the ground.

So go forth and recycle.

No comments: