Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Hearing Without Words

Grace, my lifelong friend Brenda’s grandmother, passed into her life with Jesus a couple weeks ago. Growing up, we were both so blessed to have all four of our grandmothers. We gave them nicknames to describe them. Brenda had Lttle Gandma because she was a teeny tiny Dutch woman and her grandmother who just passed away was Modern Grandma because she was always impeccably dressed and had such a fashion sense. My Gandma Van Wyk was Holland Grandma because she was an immigrant from Holland (although I believe Little Grandma was too) and my Grandma Brasser was Frozen Grandma because whenever we went there she would bring bars and cookies out of the freezer. I would love to sit at their feet today and talk about times past, what the world was like as they grew up, how their faith helped them through the years, how they saw the hand of God in their lives. I tended to take them for granted. They were there when I was born, they were just a part of my life growing up and as a child, I don’t think I ever imagined that someday they would no longer be here. My nephew Garrett has a different view I think. He insists on going golfing with my dad on a pretty routine basis. It means the world to my dad and I think it is so cool that a 19-year-old has the heart and sensitivity to be that intentional about spending time with his grandpa. Dena talks about “reading people’s hearts.” I want to “hear” what people don’t say, I want to have a clear picture of what they need without words, I want to just get it and understand that life is not length, but breadth.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don’t depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord in all you do and He will give you success. Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Weren't we blessed to have such awesome Grandmas? And to have Grandma Grace with me until just weeks ago, I am tremendously blessed. Years ago I had made the deliberate choice to spend time with her. Everyone is busy, but we make choices as to how we spend our time. No one can take away the memories that I have of my time with her. Yes, I'm sure I feel the loss more than most of the other grand kids, but that is a price I'll gladly pay.
Thanks, Linda

love, Brenda