Sunday, March 11, 2012

What's The Plan?

On December 1, 2011, Lori was going to come up from Fairfield and we were going to meet in Pella. At the last minute, I had to bail on her because we were having a meeting at work and it was too important to miss. I told Lori, dang it all, it looks like I have to go to this meeting or lose my job. Well the meeting was to tell us that Iowa Health was outsourcing all transcription statewide and our jobs were being eliminated. Merry Christmas from Iowa Health. We were all hired by the outsource company and I took that job, but actively (can we say now nearly desperately?) searching for something else. I knew this company wasn't right for me when we were told by our supervisor that we wouldn't get any time off for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's. Okay, that's fun. As it looks now, I will work every holiday this year and that's not my style. So it's been an interesting ride I've been on for the last couple of months. I have had the same job for 20+ years, but now I'm starting to think about what kind of job would I like to have? What would make getting up and going to work a joy? Here are a few thing I've come up with.

Everything I want to do, I am highly unqualified for. I think greenhouses and landscaping businesses are really fun places to hang out so I sent an application to TimberPine, one of my favorite nursery/landscaping/greenhouse places and the application asked if I had experience with a skidloader, heavy equipment, landscaping, etc. and I'm like well no, but I like plants and gardening and I love to talk about it. They haven't called me yet. I would like to learn to sew so I asked Mary, my friend, who owns a quilt shop if she needed someone who didn't know a thing about sewing, but was friendly and nice and she didn't really answer me. So I think that was a no. I talked to Nancy, the lady who owns my favorite yarn/knitting store and told her I was available, but since every time I go in I ask for advice, she didn't make me an offer on the spot either. Lori is an interior decorator and that would be a really fun job, but I'm struggling to get my own house spiffied up and unfortunately I have no clue about decorating. I would like to be a secret shopper. I want to go on trips for Midwest Living and write about all the cool places I visit. Freelance writing would be interesting although after reading this, some might think Really??? I like the elderly and sick people, something might come up there. Most importantly, I would really like a job with a lot of vacation time because I have a lot of places to go. Anyone out there got anything for me?

I do have confidence that God has a plan for me and I rely on Jeremiah 29:11:
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Personally, I can't wait to see how this all turns out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out either! If you had asked me what I'd be doing this spring, this was certainly not it! I have faith it will all work out, too. We're a talented, intelligent group of women and this is a stepping stone we didn't expect but will go over, around or under to succeed, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing this with me, I'm looking forward to reading more! Chris :))