Friday, March 23, 2012

Pinterest Pick of the Week

Like about a gazillion other folks in Internet Land, I have become more than a little interested in the ideas on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/.  First of all, I think it is very cool that the mind behind this idea is Brian Silbermann, a DSM native along with his Yale college buddies who I guess are not DSM natives, but still.... Young Mr. Silbermann’s parents are ophthalmologists here and I truly believe that having the opportunity to receive an extra measure of intelligence genes can lead to good things. But here is my favorite Pinterest find this week -- homemade laundry soap.

Here is the recipe and some other fun things on this young mom's blog someone might find interesting: http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html#comments.

I had never heard of Fels-Naptha soap, but it was right there in the laundry aisle of my local Hy-Vee. I don't have a food processor so I had to shred this stuff with one of those hand graters. That was the most difficult part and I do believe there is a tiny sliver of finger skin in my laundry soap.

The cost of this was around $17.00 and after using it for a couple weeks, here is what I have left:

Of course we are a 2-person household so it doesn't go quite so fast as it would have, say 10 or even 15? years ago. Laundry day at our house is when the sun is shining and there is a hint of a breeze. On this day, however, there was more breeze than just a hint. Phew, just glad my clothes didn't blow into the next county. This picture does not even give justice to the strength of the wind that day.

I have to confess this all makes me feel so Laura Ingalls Wilder :).
Happy Friday.

No comments: