Friday, July 23, 2010

My Internship and Other Surprising Things That Really Weren't Surprising

In her book "Cold Tangerines", Shauna Niequist says this: "I just turned thirty and I'm finally willing to admit something about life, or at least about my life and it's this: I should have written in pencil. I should have viewed the trajectory of my life as a mystery or an unknown. I should have planned lightly, hypothetically and should have used words like "maybe" and "possibly." Instead, every chance I got, I wrote in stone and Sharpie. I stood on my future, on what I knew, on the certainty of what life would hold for me, as thought it was rock. ..... Now when I think about the future, ..... I try to write in pencil."

I'm older than 30, actually quite a bit older, but even though I should know better, things still change when I least expect it. I was reading this book while I was in Ohio with Cody and Elizabeth and I had my month of June written in stone and Sharpie. After working out detail after detail, I had everything in place and ready to do my medical assistant internship at Aultman working alongside Elizabeth. The only detail I had not covered was to ensure that all the T's had been crossed and the I's dotted between Kaplan and Aultman. They weren't and I was in a somewhat of a bind. I had seven weeks to get in a little less than 160 internship hours and the one thing I did not have -- time -- is what it was going to take to get everything coordinated and ready for me to get to work. I was able to do some observation hours and to this day, I wish my plans had worked out. This was the kind of clinic I want to work in, this is the patient population I like the best. But observation was not going to help me with the skills I needed and I realized I would have to come back to Iowa and finish up here. I was able to get in touch with a couple clinic managers I knew and found two clinics where I could obtain the hours and skills I would need.

As I was looking at finishing school and what my finanicial obligation would soon be, it was in my head that I would get a part-time job in an office as a medical assistant in addition to my transcription job. One problem. I don't like working in offices. My internship was an extremely short-term situation and I could barely think about going in and staying for the.whole.day. I know that I don't like to work in an office, that's why I love my transcription job working from home. So I'm finding God bringing me back to why I went back to school in the first place. It's to do free clinic work and mission trips. While Aultman wasn't a free clinic, it did have a large population of uninsured, and I think that's why I liked it there. So while that doesn't help much with the financial obligation, I can see God opening some doors to give me the desires of my heart, but for now I'm going to write it in pencil.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Hi Linda,
I read that book this summer also. I borrowed it from Christina. She had some interesting thoughts.
We do make our plans and then life happens and we find out how real our faith is.
Excited to see where God leads you.