Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Times They Have A'Changed

When I was 9 or 10 years old, missionaries that our church supported would visit and instead of our usual Sunday School class, we would have a presentation on their work. There would be rows of chairs set up in the basement of the church with what I would call a fairly respectable crowd of people. They would turn down the lights and the missionaries would show slides and talk about their work in whatever country they were currently serving. In my memory, the missionaries were always women and they looked like missionaries. They would tell us that if God wanted us to go to the far ends of the earth and be missionares, we would hear God calling us. I remember looking at them and watching their slides and my only thought was:

"Please God, please, please, please, I beg you, please do not call me to be a missionary."

And He didn't. At least I never heard it if He did.

What He did give me was a love for hospitals and healthcare in general. When I step into a hospital, I have to stop and take a good look around. I have to deeply breathe in as much of the atmosphere as possible. Not many people feel this way about hospitals and I understand that. Kind of.

So it's not a surprise that for some time now, ok years, I have had a strong desire to have more hands-on skills to work directly with sick people. I was talking with Monica about thoughts that would not go away about going on medical mission trips and to actually be able to contribute and she told me a medical assistant certification would be enough to do those kinds of things. So, with a minimum of research, I learned there's a school about 5 miles from my house with a medical assistant program and I can be finished in a little over a year. I think a year goes by in the blink of an eye. I can do that. So with more than a little bit of trepidation, I am now a student again. I started last Friday and we'll see how it all goes.

So I definitely feel like the joke is on me. Am I going to be a missionary? I suppose I will be. Will I go to the far ends of the earth and serve people living in conditions I can't even imagine? I hope so. Will I serve people right here in my little corner of the world who are suffering and have lost all hope? I hope so. Will I serve people without health insurance or access to care who need the help of free clinics? I hope so. Can I see suffering and keep it from effecting me? I hope not.

Never say never.


This Thankful Heart
1. Dena and Monica who listen to me, help me grow and are always my cheerleaders and encouragers.
2. Dinner last night with Greg and Dena.
3. Church services.
4. Garrett getting close to coming back home.
5. Silly movies after a less than perfect day.
6. Mom, dad and Carson here for my birthday.
7. Carson and Carissa here for Easter.
8. Easter brunch with the Aunan family.
9. Tea parties.

Supplication
1. Continued healing for Tate.
2. Mark, Cody, Elizabeth, Cody, Carson and Carissa.
3. Being a student.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I remember those missionary visits!

I'm so excited for you as you step out in obediance to God's leading. Who knows where you may end up.
Did you ever hear the song, "Lord, please don't send me to Africa"?

I love your new background.