Monday, June 2, 2008

A Whirlwind Month of May

What a wonderful, busy, crazy month May was. A wedding and 4 graduations - and that was just our family. Sprinkle in a few more graduation parties of students and friends in addition to regular life and sometimes it felt like we were meeting ourselves at the door as we left again.

I recently read that Real Simple did a survey on women and happiness and one of the most interesting points was that happy women tend to seek out new experiences. Well my month of May was chock full of new experiences. We experienced a child getting married, we experienced a major university graduation, we experienced medical school graduation, I ate sushi for the first time, and I found a really sweet little bookstore in the East Village of Des Moines. I am so thankful my mom and dad were able, and willing, to drive to Iowa 3 weekends in a row and Mark's mom and dad also joined us in these wonderfully blessed times.

I was also blessed with experiences that were not new in May. Celebrating Katie's graduation in Wisconsin where Dale and Shari could write a book on how to throw a party, catching up with cousins I haven't seen for years and loving the fact that I could just enjoy the party without having to participate in the planning.

But here's the recap:

First of all was The Wedding of Cody and Elizabeth. What a wonderful day. How everything went so smoothly when the most disorganized and clueless people are planning someting like this, is somewhat of a mystery. But I'm not going to try too hard to figure it out. Understanding I speak from a bit of a bias, I do believe it was the nicest, most beautiful wedding I have ever seen. I'm sure there are other moms out there who may disagree with me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was so honored and so humbled by all the people who traveled to help us celebrate with Cody and Elizabeth and this certainly helped make the day extra special. Watching Carson out on the dance floor doing the moon walk and talking in front of 200+ people to give a toast, has me thinking this is not the same dude I have known for 21, almost 22, years.

I have been to many graduations in my life, but new to me was one involving 1600+ graduates. It was a 3-hour ceremony for the University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts, but we heard them call Carson's name and watched him receive his diploma. Some of our pictures even turned out from our spot high up in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Another different graduation ceremony was at DMU. Lots of people and a ceremony that took about 2-1/2 hours, but we could see Cody and Elizabeth get their diplomas via a big screen. With the flags and regality of DMU, I felt like we were in a King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table movie. All that was missing were prancing white horses.

We finished up May with Katie's graduation. My cousin Nancy and I were so close in high school, but distance, time and life has caused us to not stay in touch with each other like we should. So seeing her on Saturday with her daughter Kristin and meeting Kristin's little ones was such a joy. Being with cousins Sue and Bill along with Bill's wife Mary, plus Uncles Bill and Pete and aunt Nicki; Sue's daughter Tracy with her husband Chris and their little boy, Benjamin, gave me a day I will not forget.

To begin June at my mom and dad's with my brothers and their families makes me feel wonderfully blessed. These are my favorite people, the people I love to spend time with, the people who make me laugh, who share life with me, who give me advice about my car and who are there for me, there for my husband, there for my kids.

Praise Him from Whom All Blessings Flow.

Love is what holds you all together in perfect unity. (Col. 3:14b)

The Lord's love never ends; His mercies never stop. They are new every morning; Lord your loyalty is great. (Lamentations 3:22-23)

No comments: