Friday, October 16, 2009

Loops in Life

The other night as Elizabeth and I drove home after her brothers' football game, we were talking about how we liked seeing things that didn't go together. As we were talking and our toes were actually starting to warm up after watching the game on a chilly night, we met a car pulling a boat. Like a boat that people ski behind. We laughed about how we were talking about contrasting things and there was a boat on a cold night. Who has a boat out after 10 p.m. when the temperature is barely 30 degrees?

This picture is one of my all-time favorites. I took it when we went to Rocky Mountain National Park in July 2005. I like it because Carissa and Elizabeth are in summer clothes and behind them are the mountains with snow.

I see this sight a lot as I drive around the area where I live.

I stood in the same place and took these pictures. On one side of the road, are houses and a very tidy neighborhood. Then I turned around and took a picture of a farm.

Sometimes something just seems odd. I think that may be why I find hospitals such interesting places. You find the joy of new life there and the sadness of a loved one leaving life. I'm kind of fuzzy on the details of being at the hospital in Sheboygan when my dad was there, but if I recall correctly, I think the birthing unit was on the same floor as the ICU where we watched over dad. People hear bad news, people hear good news. All in the same place.

I'm not sure this post has a point, it's just one of those things I like to think about and look for. Kind of like an oxymoron. You stop for a moment, puzzle over it a bit and then realize you have just been given a little gift.

Watching for surprises,






No comments: