Sunday, August 9, 2009

Still Grateful

It's been a tough summer. On July 1, my dad passed away. He was so precious and dear to me and truthfully, I just want him back. Then about two weeks after my dad left us, a friend from college who had battled breast cancer for six years, also went to her eternal home. So it's time to write that God is still good and my thankful heart.

I am thankful for God's hedge of protection as I traveled back and forth to Wisconsin this summer. I am thankful for the example my dad was to me on how to live a faith-filled life. I'm thankful that my dad's service was filled with hope and reassurance. I'm thankful for the sound of Katie's voice as she gives Noah his trumpet lesson. I am thankful that Jeff could fix my speedometer and take care of my car at a fraction of the cost I would have had to pay otherwise. I am thankful for the outpouring of support from the people in the Sheboygan Falls/Oostburg/Himgham/ Cedar Grove area. I'm thankful for Barb's gift of playing the piano and how she poured herself into her music at the service for my dad. I'm thankful for my wildflower hillside project, a place to think, pray and reflect. I'm thankful for the little hummingbird who stopped next to me for a few seconds shortly after Mark told me that Capi had lost her battle with breast cancer. I'm thankful for a day browsing in the fun little shops of Cedarburg with my mom. I'm thankful for Caan's and Culver's greenhouses. I'm thankful that I discovered journals by Marva Sheriff. I'm thankful for the Christian marriage of Zach and Christina. I'm thankful that while life ends for some, we have new life to look forward to with the birth of Ruth Vinson and waiting for the birth of Emily, Sarah and Jennifer's babies. I'm thankful for Rachel G's writing and her heart. I'm thankful dad was able to be at home for the last days of his life. I'm thankful for the support of friends who drive to Wisconsin from Iowa and for the support of friends who stayed in Iowa and took care of our cats and dog and mail. I'm thankful for family summer birthday parties. I'm thankful for time with Cindy, although never enough time. I'm thankful for pictures from Tara. I'm thankful for wonderful spaghetti from Maggiono's. I'm thankful for the mother-daughter banquet in Sheboygan Falls last May when, although I did not know it at the time, gave me one more opportunity to see my dad. I'm thankful for Tyler's summer in Sicily and the work he is doing there. I am thankful for Rachel's summer in Mississippi and the work she did there. I am thankful that Carissa was home this summer and she was able to find jobs. I'm thankful for a fun day shopping with her in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. I'm thankful for safety for Carson as he flew to NYC and back. I'm thankful for fun weekend in Ohio and I'm even thankful for roller coasters. I'm thankful for family and friends. I'm thankful for hope. I'm thankful that I have been redeemed.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

and I am thankful for you, dear friend.