Wednesday, August 6, 2008

How Quickly They Grow Up

I have so enjoyed having Carissa home this summer. I think she's been okay with being home, but it's not the kind of summer she would describe as "summer lovin' had me a blast." She has worked hard with 4 jobs and then volunteering every Wednesday night at the hospital. I have tried to make it fun for her, we have seen a lot of movies, did a mini family vacation at the Omaha zoo, but I have to face it. I'm her mom. I think I'm totally fun, but she would probably prefer hangin' with someone closer to her own age.

So she came to me yesterday and asked if she could drive up to Orange City to see Rachel. Really, I was happy she could have this time to spend with Rachel and be with people her own age. Really, I was. There was just one problem. She would not be able to leave until after 9 p.m.

Now it's close to a 4-hour trip from here to Orange City. She has been to Orange City before but with us and during the day. But this time she was driving. Alone. At night. When it's dark. And late.

When I think of my children this is what I see.



But other people see my children like this.


Lands sakes, they are grown up.


One is married.


How did that happen?

I'm happy to report she made it safely. At 1:11 a.m. I could stand it no longer so I called (so very thankful for cell phones) and she had gotten there a few minutes earlier without incident. I don't know how people who don't rely on God send their kids out on their own. It was a praying night for me.

I am so happy she has this opportunity to be with Rachel and meet some of Rachel's friends up there at Northwestern. This just might be the perfect ending to her summer vacation.

But, I do miss those little ones.

Thankgiving:
  1. Carissa's time in Orange City.
  2. Rachel and friends.
  3. Cell phones.
  4. Prayer time with Dena.
  5. Wellspring, Paige and Al.
  6. Beautiful weather.
  7. The adults my kids have become.
Petitions:
  1. Continued healing for Tate, my dad's back, Rachel's wrist, Carissa's foot, and Katie Bloom.
  2. Jobs for Carson, Curtis, Aaron and Mike.
  3. Safety as Carissa comes home and we leave for Chicago on Friday.


No comments: